Last weekend, the world watched as The X Factor judges picked their final 12 acts to go through to the live stages of the ITV talent show.
Here we find out a little more about Joe McElderry. Joseph McElderry is an 18-year-old from South Shields, Newcastle.
10 Things You Need to Know About Joe McElderry
- Joe McElderry, 18, comes from South Shields and is a performing arts student at Newcastle College
- Joe started singing four years ago when he shocked his family by finally taking turn at Karaoke in his aunt’s garage
- He went on to play Danny in Grease at Harton Technology College two years later.
- Joe reached boot camp stage two years ago, but felt too young compared to the other contestants and opted to walk away.
- Gigs this summer before The X Factor Finals included a local football teams pub night awards do and a charity fashion show.
- One punter in his home town, believed to be a family member, staked £500 on Joe winning The X Factor, a bet which could land them £7,000.
- He used to work at South Shields Arts venue The Customs House.
- Joe was the Pride of South Tyneside’s Young Performer of the Year in 2008.
- South Shields MP and Foreign Secretary David Miliband has written to Joe to wish him luck.
- He earned a standing ovation from the audience in Manchester with his first audition, when he sand Luther Vandross’s Dance With My Father.